Alumni Support Makes Johnson Fitness Center Renovation a Reality
A gleaming new addition to the Johnson Fitness Center makes it easier for students, faculty, and staff to keep those New Year resolutions. Rows of treadmills, stair steppers, elliptical machines and rowing machines face an 18-foot wall of windows in the Davenport Cardio Gallery. The weight machines are waiting. And the coaches and trainers are ready to share their workout routines.
Thanks to alumni support over the past seven months, the Johnson Fitness Center has undergone a $2 million renovation and expansion that more than doubles the space devoted to weight training, core strength conditioning, and cardiovascular exercise. The field house has been retrofitted with more energy-efficient insulation and lighting. And the College has invested $100,000 in new equipment.
The result? A spacious, light-filled facility that inspires varsity athletes and recreational fitness enthusiasts alike to achieve their personal goals.
The College held a ribbon-cutting ceremony Friday, February 1, at 4 p.m., followed by a public reception recognizing the family of the late alumnus Benjamin A. Johnson, for whom the building is named. The Johnson family provided the lead gift for the original construction in 1992, and for this recent renovation and expansion. Benjamin A. Johnson, Class of 1911, was the father of College Trustee Emeritus William Johnson ’40, and the grandfather of current College Trustee Ben Johnson.
Bill and Ben Johnson, along with College Trustee Peter Davenport, serve as honorary co-chairs on the Campaign Committee led by Ed Nordberg ’82 and John Moag ’77.
The Committee is just $150,000 shy of its $2 million goal and welcomes additional gifts to the project.
Fit and Pretty