Timeframe: 3-5 Days
Reduce toxic glycoalkaloids in potatoes through fermentation.
Industrial Pesticides and Chemicals
Pesticides are liberally applied to fields, then sprout inhibitors are sprayed on potatoes once they are harvested. Peel potatoes to remove pesticides, and seek organic potatoes.
Basic Method for Detoxifying Potatoes
- Peel potatoes; compost skins.
- Slice into smaller pieces.
- Tare a large mason jar or similar vessel on a scale. Add potatoes, cover with water, and weigh.
- Multiply weight by 2%, and add that amount in salt to the jar. Stir or cap and shake
No scale? No worries! 2 pounds of potatoes covered in a half gallon mason jar will require about 40 grams of salt, or roughly 2 tablespoons.
- Let ferment for 3-5 days, then strain water. The fermentation reduces glycoalkaloids. The soaking reduces excess starch and the formation of acrylamide, a toxin created by cooking starch.
Lacto-Fermented French Fries
- Dry fermented potato slices with a clean dishtowel, or spread evenly on a baking sheet and freeze until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Drizzle lightly with a healthy fat, sprinkle with salt and desired spices, and bake for 20 minutes to cook potatoes.
- Increase oven to 425°F and continue baking for 20 minutes for crispy fries.
- Serve with a homemade ranch dressing or a kefir cheese herbal dip. Enjoy!